[pianotech] Wurlitzer tuning stability

Chuck Raynor diggeray at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 02:38:17 PST 2009

Hi group,
I was called to tune a ten year old Wurlitzer spinet yesterday and
arrived to find the piano almost 100 cents flat. Performed a pitch raise
and fined tuned to 440.  My question is, I found the tuning pins to be
EXTREMELY tight and VERY "twisty", with very little resistance to
movement of the string over the upper termination point.  That is, once
I could get the pin to move, I could vary the pitch 5-10 cents either
way by just a gentle pressure on the tuning lever (I am using a Fujan
hammer).  I'm not comfortable that I left the piano in a stable
condition.  Any suggestions on how best to get this beast tamed?
Thanks,

Chuck Raynor
Raynor Piano Service
Beaufort, SC