[pianotech] very old pianos

Peter and Jesse petercstevenson at telus.net
Mon Feb 2 09:17:50 PST 2009

Hi list. I am a student technician in Prince George, British Columbia,
and I just wanted to throw in a student's perspective. First of all, I
agree with what William Monroe wrote, and suspect that most of us do. I
just wanted to comment on something that Ron N said about letting others
do work on old uprights.
	Like Ron, I also live in an area where there is more work than
technicians. I am glad that the technicians who are very skilled and
have decades of experience are choosing the concert-level work over the
old uprights. Professional performers expect a very high level of
expertise for their pianos, as do many people with expensive
good-quality pianos. This is service that I cannot provide. If these
technicians decided to undiscriminatingly take on work by whoever called
them first, then these clients would not be satisfied, and I wouldn't be
able to find as much work. By taking higher-level work, you are leaving
students like me to be able to service clients who might have lower
needs and can accept a less-than-perfect temperament or regulation.
 Peter Stevenson