[pianotech] Young Chang

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 05:43:58 PST 2009

Matthew,

I'll first suggest the purchase of this book from the ptg web site.

Learning the correct names of the parts will give you more credibility with
your clients and peers.

I think you are referring to the stretcher

Piano Parts and Their Functions
Complied by Merle Mason, RPT; Illustrated by James E. Campbell
This illustrated guide includes diagrams and descriptions of grands and
vertical parts and their functions. 98 pages.

As to your question, the oft discussed Young Chang action bracket issue
comes to mind first. Blocking hammers is one of the symptoms

Look at the letoff dowels where the hammers are not blocking . They may be
much lower than the others. Also check for clearance between the drop screws
and the pinblock. Eventually the screws will drag on the block if this is
indeed the action bracket problem.

The pinblock is the wood thing with all the holes in it <G>

Best wishes,

Tom Driscoll  (Former nomenclature cop emeritus)

P.S . It's also possible that this is a keyframe issue. Check the glides and
the frame itself for warping or glue joint failure.

  _____