[pianotech] Young Chang

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Mon Feb 2 04:48:43 PST 2009

A few weeks ago, I went to tune a Young Chang grand.  Here's what I discovered, rather quickly I might add.

When you played each note in the bass and treble, the hammer would block against the strings.  The entire tenor section was fine.  And when I slid the action out, I had to press the hammer shanks down in the bass so the heads would clear as I slid.

Anyone have a similar experience?  Like I said, the entire center of the keyboard was just fine.  Plus, as I stuided the action, it looked like the hammer line was not even.  It started high in the bass, and gradually decreased in height to note 88.

Also, I have a question.  What do we call the piece of wood that sits behind the fallboard when its open?  The piece of wood that we always make sure the hammer heads are clear of as we slide the action towards us to remove it.  Anyways, that is what I used to discover the hammer heads were not in a line.  In the bass, the hammers were just slighty above, and I had to press down on the shanks.  And then in the treble, the heads were quite a bit lower.

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com