[pianotech] Heavy keys...

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Feb 1 13:31:23 PST 2009

 DA wrote:

> Ahhh, could be just a s--t action ratio/balance weight as well.....

D'ya think?!?!?!  1994 Baldwin L with a poor set-up?  Naahhhh, couldn't be
David.

My first thought would be to geometry, given that it is every key.  Could be
pinning, could be some aspect of regulation, but who knows.  I'd need more
information to go on.  Check the action ratio first and see what that says.
I like Dale Erwins ratio gauge (made one myself - thanks Dale).  It's quick
and easy and gives you a nice snapshot of geometry.

Given that, I agree with Wim.  Ask the client, suggest it feels heavy to you
if they ask your opinion, and let them know it can be improved - provided
you feel you can make the necessary improvements.  If you get started with
geometry issues, it will be very involved very quickly in most cases.  Best
to get a primer before trying to discuss the options intelligently with your
client.

William R. Monroe