[pianotech] Adjusting Jack on a Yamama Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 23:04:44 MDT 2009

Subject: Re: [pianotech] Yamaha jack adjustment

Certainly you have to be able to get the tool between the dowels, but it also helpful to push the wippen down and tip the jack back to expose the jack regulating screw/thingy. If it really was a problem, I would think that Yamaha would have fixed it...? Oh, I'm so naive...

How about simply using a drill to remove a small amount of the wood from each dowel...drill in between them...

Ah, come on guys & gals. This was discussed eons ago! The simple fact is to MAKE a tool out of a piece of 1/4" steel rod, ( 1" Long), an umbrella stay, (the round one, 3" long), one piece of 1/8" steel rod, (1/4" long) & a piece of brass tubing that will sleeve over the 1/8" steel. Silver solder the whole darned thing together and put it on a 1/2" dowel handle with a flat that is in line with the slot in the 1/8" steel head. Got it? Good!
Have fun.<G> (BTW, the same "ingenious design is in most Renner actions, as well, so make the tool and quityourbitchin'<G>)
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I