[pianotech] Weird Pease Grand

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 30 16:41:05 MDT 2009

Cool.  I don't think I've ever seen a plate with more than one horn.  Is
the third one at the treble break (off the lower left corner of your
photo)?  It almost looks like there's a projection off of the belly rail
to mate with the horns.  Is it metal, or wood?  In some pianos with a
cast bracket that holds the front ends of the beams, a part of the
bracket (or maybe a separate bolt) will pass through the belly rail to
meet the horn.  Couples the plate directly to the beams and rim - very
solid support for string tension.