[pianotech] Kawai RX3

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 30 16:20:53 MDT 2009

I would start with checking to make sure the hammers are fitting well to the string.
Start with checking the levelness of the unison, then raise the hammer by pushing your finger against the underside of the jack in order to block the hammer against the string. Pluck the each string and see if all strings are mated to the hammers evenly. Many times voicing issues are based with a bad hammer/string fit. It if that's it, you'll need to apply a string hook to the lowest of the strings and gently raise ( bend) the string up against the agraffe. Recheck and see if that took care of it.  If that's the culprit, you should start hearing an improvement immediately.
Sometimes the problem is in the string leveling, other times it's carelessness in the hammer filing process which yields an imperfect crown.If that's the problem, light re-file the hammer and make sure that the hammer sit square to the string.
Option 2
If you find that plucking the string with the damper pedal on yields a very fast decay, say in the low seconds amt., then chances this could be a soundboard issue. Then I would take some downbearing measurements and start to see if there's unusual decrease in bearing as you approach that section. Sometimes it can be caused by too much bearing. But check the surrounding area and play detective.
 But start with the basics first. Check the hammer/string fit and start your diagnoses from there.
Tom Servinsky