[pianotech] PR follow up

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 22:47:35 MDT 2009

Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:48:30 -0700 "David Love"
<davidlovepianos at comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't see soundboard compression being a factor or that there is any
> delay in response to added tension.  String segmentation tension
> differentials I'll agree are a factor but those can be overcome with
> proper technique and attention---I don't think they offer a reason
> that the piano can't achieve stability.
>

> David Love
>
> www.davidlovepianos.com

David, Paul and all

I believe that the late Dr. Al Sanderson in his discussions of pitch
raising contended that soundboard de- and re-compression happens
instantaneously as the  pressure on the bridges changes  with the change
in string tension, and there are no further changes over time.  So this
seems to support David's opinion.

But there is another factor here that everyone seems to be ignoring -
and that is the "memory" of the wire - the same factor that cause
instability in a newly installed string. At least in a severe pitch
raise or drop, what happens is that the section of the wire that was
bent around a bearing point has now moved away from the bearing point
and is expected to be straight. And a new section of the wire that has
been straight is now bending around a bearing point. It will take some
time for those segments of the wire to either become completely straight
or to fully bend around the bearing point - just like a newly installed
string. Perhaps less time than a new string - but nevertheless, some
time. I am not going to speculate as to how long or how much of a pitch
change would bring this into play. but this is the factor that - at
least to my mind - suggests that a "follow up" tuning may be useful some
weeks or months after a severe pitch change.

Israel Stein