[pianotech] PR follow up

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 08:56:09 MDT 2009

Should be pretty easy to conduct an experiment.  Set up a piano that is in a
totally controlled environment humidity and temperature and see if the piano
ever goes out of tune.  Since I often come back to pianos with full DC
systems or in controlled environments and frequently find these pianos
pretty much exactly where I left them I am inclined to say that it is a
system without hysteresis.

Similarly, you can easily tune and measure a piano, and then remove one
string and record the immediate change in pitch on the surrounding strings.
Wait two weeks and measure again.  Assuming you again have a controlled
environment you would expect a deterministic system to remain where it was
after the removal of the string.  A system with hysteresis would continue to
drift.

My own experience suggests it's a deterministic system with respect to how
changes in tension influence structural movement.  But, as someone I'm sure
will be quick to point out, I have no proof.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com