[pianotech] PR follow up

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Sat Aug 29 07:33:33 MDT 2009

I also always give the customer the information about pitch raise. In my 36+ years of tuning after a Bachelors' Degree in Music, I always promote ear training and a piano not to standard pitch will not do that.  If I am called on a piano that I have never tuned, a large percentage of the time I will find them at least 30c flat. If the new owner or situation says the piano is going to see lots of use "now", I will recommend a follow up tuning is a few weeks.

Just after I started tuning in St. Louis (around '77/'78) I had a situation where the piano was purchased for the child at age 7, took lessons for a little while and then quit. Now the child was a Senior in High School and begged the mother to tune the piano. Situation above. Two weeks later I went back; the piano had dropped a couple of cents and the mother said now she had to chase the child away from the piano.

I have also had the opportunity to go back to a piano I tuned some 18 to 20 earlier with no one else called to tune the piano in the mean time and found them only 10 to 15 cents low. So I know a lot of the pianos I find way out were never brought to pitch when tuned. BUT, to counter that I have also had some PSOs that every 6 months would be either 50c sharp or 50c flat as the seasons changed.

Enough Saturday Morning chatter.

Ken Gerler RPT 631