[pianotech] PR follow up

Norm Barrett barr8345 at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 28 22:05:06 MDT 2009

Paul,
IMHO the biggest point you are nor addressing is the needs of the
customer. How "fine" a tuning is this individual  interested in paying
for?  Exactly what is a perfect tuning? Good musicians have preferences.
Some like greatly stretched while others like solid octaves.
The pianos we usually encounter that need large pitch raises have been
neglected. This could be that they just acquired it or it just sat there
unused.
To tell a customer that I have to come back in 2 weeks to get a fine
tuning when they have let the piano go for years is almost humorous. If
the piano sounds great when I leave, thats all I can expect.
If the humidity changes in the next week, the piano will go out of tune
no matter how great a tuning you did, but if the customer does not hear
it, are you imposing your criteria by insisting on a return visit?
Norm Barrett