[pianotech] PR follow up

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 21:53:10 MDT 2009

It’s called CYA.  The reality is that it’s more difficult to achieve a stable tuning after a pitch raise and there’s always the risk that even a most determined fine tuning won’t achieve the segment stability that we desire.  That’s why I tell customers that after such a pitch raise I can’t guarantee stability.  In spite of my best efforts it may turn out that the tuning may require a follow up sooner than otherwise but at the same time it may not.  The bottom line is, I’ve done the best I can to stabilize the tuning at one sitting after they’ve (for whatever reason) let the piano drift off pitch that far.  There may be legitimate reasons why the piano doesn’t stay exactly in tune.  If that’s the case, I tell them, then they will need to call to schedule another appointment to do another tuning and there will be an additional charge.  However, they also may find that it stays in tune just fine (or stays in fine just tuneJ) in which case they’re lucky, but I wouldn’t recommend that they let it go that long again.  It’s ultimately up to them.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

All of which is true. What is still a question is what you call the aim and the result. If the aim is a "fine" tuning after a radical pitch alteration, I suppose degrees of fine can be achieved, indeed, I have done so. But not tunings that I would ever tell a client are "fine", rather adequate to the circumstance.

  _____