[pianotech] Hoffman 190 tuning instability

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 10:26:57 MDT 2009

I had a Yamaha U3 upright with similar tuning difficulties and stability.
It tuned terrible and no way would it stay.  It crept continually.  I took
in another RPT for a 2nd opinion and we both agreed that there was too much
tension on the capo bar.  This was causing serious rendering problems making
it almost impossible to set the pin and keep the piano in tune for long
enough to leave.  Stings were creeping all over the place.

We took some tension off from the capo bar in the tenor and treble sections
going very slowly, doing every other screw making sure everything was even
and that we weren't taking away to much tension.  Each time we gave the
screws a 1/4 turn, the pitch dropped by at least that much and more.  I
raised it back up each time so I could feel what it was doing at the same
time.  When we were satisfied with the proper angle of the strings coming up
from the capo bar to the speaking length of the wire and satisfied with how
it tuned, we quit.  It has tuned a lot better and has been stable ever
since.