[pianotech] graphite shaft tuning lever- improvised

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Aug 26 23:47:13 MDT 2009

List

   I've been using an old heavy rosewood lever from Schaff from the 70's.
For self preservation I have been wanting to try one of the newer style
levers, I.E. Faulk, Fujan .Mother Goose , Reyburn  but with a slow summer I
have put my non essential tool purchases on hold.

  I had a golf club destined for the trash when I noticed the shaft was made
of graphite. A quick search revealed that this shaft type is designed for
stiffness and is very light.

   I cut the shaft at the handle and epoxied a 4" section of a steel
hexagonal extension rod. (Schaff part # 21R ) This is half of the rod from
my old lever that I have never extended and is threaded on both ends

 This new lever is VERY light and seemingly quite stiff. The grip seems
comfortable for my tuning style so far.

Full report to follow after a few more tunings.

 Lots of fun and my cost to date is about 25 cents for the epoxy.

Tom -recession buster--Driscoll