[pianotech] Clarification Question: i'll take a pass

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 20:06:21 MDT 2009

Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:40:12 -0700 "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> A 20+ cent change can be made in 1.25 hours and with reasonable stability, imho...I would then suggest 6 months or at least within a year for the next service...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

All you folks who live in places other than Northern California (where
there are no weather changes to speak of) can probably ignore the last
part of the above post. Most places the routine interval between tunings
IS six months. In six months, which would include at least one - if not
two - seasonal weather changes, pianos will be whiningly out of tune
regardless of pitch raise. After a year they will often need another
pitch raise...  At least that's how it was in Boston.  Here in Northern
California (where Dave - and now also I - live)   - it's Piano Paradise.
Typically, humidity just doesn't change much over the year. So our idea
of how long we can get away with letting a piano sit without tuning is
somewhat distorted... If you want to deal with the "settling" of a piano
after a pitch raise in the usual, four-seasons-a-year type  climate
(that is, all of the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and the Midwest) before the
seasonal weather change makes it irrelevant, it should be done a lot
sooner that six months - and definitely sooner than one year.

Israel Stein