[pianotech] Clarification Question: i'll take a pass

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 20:55:30 MDT 2009

In a message dated 8/25/2009 6:45:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
wimblees at aol.com writes:

I would like to chime in with my view on this. I agree with Terry's (and
Paul's) assessments, but here are a couple of additional thoughts on  the
matter which might clear up some misconceptions.

First is the definition of the term "one pass". To me this means going
from A0 to C88 one time, whether it's starting from A44 with a fork and
setting an aural temperament

Certainly you mean A440 or A49, but certainly not A44.

, or tuning all the notes with an ETD, regardless of where you  start. Even
when tuning a piano that's already at pitch, the piano  should get at least
2 passes, and then some. In other words, it's not enough  to just tune the
piano once, and let it go at that. A second pass is needed  just to assure
that all the notes are where they are supposed to be. And  then a third or
forth pass might be needed to tweak a few more notes.

Second is the stability of a piano after a "pitch raise". Before  we can
say that a piano will not be stable after a pitch raise, we need  to recognize
that most pianos are not stable, especially in  certain parts of the
country. Having lived in the Midwest, I know  that it's not uncommon to have the
heat on at night and the AC  running at full blast that same afternoon, and
where summer temperatures  can be over 100, with humidity to match, and to
have sub-zero  temperatures in the winter. In other words, for a piano to go
sour after  a pitch raise is not necessarily caused by the pitch  raise.

It is necessarily caused by the pitch raise. The physics of the piano make
it incontrovertible. Other factors exacerbate it.

 That piano was destined to go out of tune, no matter what kind of  tuning
was done.

The pitch raises most of us are familiar with are pianos that haven't  been
tuned for many years, often longer than customers even admit. To argue
that a piano in a concert setting will not stay in tune after a pitch raise is
almost a redundant statement, primarily because pianos in concert setting
don't go untuned for more than a month at most. When Bill asked the
question,  he was most likely referring to pianos that are 20 or more cents flat,
not  because of a sudden change in temperature, but because of years of
neglect.

You are welcome to assign whatever numbers you wish, Wim. Now you're in the
 gray area that Terry referred to, and into which I won't go with hard
numbers.

Which brings me to my philosophy about pitch raise and fine  tuning.
Regardless of how flat a piano is, on the first pass the  piano is tuned 25%
higher than it was low.

It may be on average 25%, but that would leave your bass high and your
treble flat.. But I would offer a balance of 20% in the tenor, 25-30% in the
treble, and 10-15% in the bass. This is an easy calculation and it is done by
 feel aurally, not to hard numerical boundaries. There is a particular
pattern of  tuning pins which I use based on some old Defebaugh videos, and it
seems to even  out the stress on the bridges, which is measurable. It is also
a process which  takes about 1/2 hour.

This brings the piano back to "even keel". In this case, that  first pass
is as described above. This is immediately followed by a "regular"  tuning,
which requires two, three or even four passes, all in one  sitting. I have
found that with this tuning the piano will be "stable", as  described above.

The number of the following tuning "pass(es)" need to be calculated to  the
context of the job---concert, or Johnny's home piano, as I suggested
before.

I can say with all honesty that this happens, because unlike the weather
conditions in the Midwest, we have a very stable climate in Hawaii. Day time
temperatures are between 80 and 90 degrees, year around. Night time
temperatures are between 65 and 75, year around. The humidity is always  between
65% and 80%. Under these conditions I have done a 75 cent pitch raise  and
tuning, and came back a year later with that piano at pitch, and no more  out
of tune than a piano that was tuned at pitch the year before.

In conclusion, when a piano has been through a pitch raise and a tuning  in
one sitting, yes it will go out of tune, but not because it just went
through a pitch raise.

Pitch alteration, up or down, is a physically destabilizing process for the
 piano since it adds or subtracts thousands of pounds of tension to the
whole  structure. Also, the piano was actually going "out of tune" during the
pitch  raise because of the pitch alteration in successive steps in one
direction or  the other.

It will  ALSO (added by PRJ) go out of tune  because that piano is in an
unstable environment, and because of design, will  probably never be "stable".

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu,  HI
808-349-2943