[pianotech] Clarification Question: i'll take a pass

pianofritz50 at aol.com pianofritz50 at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 09:58:31 MDT 2009

Hi Paul,

?

I very much appreciated our conversations during the Convention about this subject, and?I?think I remember?you said that one should pitch raise to A440, rather than take the piano up slowly over a series of periodic tunings... but I'm a somewhat confused w/ your posting of the following vs?the PTG?Convention statement.?

?

I'm wondering if you could please clarify a few points indicated by the >>:

?

I know? it's possible to raise the pitch & fine tuning in one visit.
However,? just because you CAN do it doesn't mean that you SHOULD do? it.
I personally disagree with this sentiment as a generalization. It's?
possible to raise the pitch and adequately tune the piano in one sitting? if the
raise is not ridiculously excessive.

>>? What's the ballpark -xx cents number you're talking about being "ridiculously excessive"?

It may be possible to raise the? pitch
and "fine tune" if the raise is within a narrow range.

>>? Ballpark -xx cents number for this "fine tune" situation?

Concert work often?calls for the latter. Johnny's home piano is typical of the former. And if?
Johnny is any good, plan on coming back in a month or so to do a more than?
adequate tuning. Radically flat pianos won't really stabilize for several?tunings.?

?

>>? Maybe one final question...?? could you provide a differentiation of "adequate" and "fine tune"... either in "cents" or some other quantitative answer (aka stability over time, or whatever)

Thank you very much...?? Bill Fritz, StLouis Chapter?

I know? it's possible to raise the pitch & fine tuning in one visit.
However,? just because you CAN do it doesn't mean that you SHOULD do? it.
I personally disagree with this sentiment as a generalization. It's?
possible to raise the pitch and adequately tune the piano in one sitting? if the

raise is not ridiculously excessive. It may be possible to raise the? pitch
and "fine tune" if the raise is within a narrow range. Concert work often?
calls for the latter. Johnny's home piano is typical of the former. And if?
Johnny is any good, plan on coming back in a month or so to do a more than?
adequate tuning. Radically flat pianos won't really stabilize for several?
tunings.

Paul