[pianotech] Spinet: Filing/ Shaping Hammers

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 13:21:33 MDT 2009

Gary

First of all, I don't think I've ever filed hammers on any piano while it was still in the piano. I've filed a few hammers just to see if it would improve the tone, and I've filed a few bass hammers when they were hitting the string next to the one it is supposed to hit. So at least that question I answered.

As far as removing the action from a Wurly, did you unscrew the blocks of wood that hold the top lid and fall board? Did you remove all the keys? When you felt the action stop, did you look to see what it was hitting, and did you try to remove what ever it was that was keeping the action from coming out? In some rare cases, I've had to tilt the action a little to get it to come out. But I've never had one that didn't come out, even after some maneuvering. It also helps if you talk to it, using some suggestive language. Of course you have to make sure you're either talking under your breath, or without the customer in the room.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943