[pianotech] Client List

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:45:23 MDT 2009

Hello all. I don't know what the rules are about talking about money in the
PTG, but I have noticed conversations of the kind before, so I figured it
was okay to ask for some advice.

I am probably moving from NYC in February and have considered selling my
client list. Now being in the business for only 3 years, it is not huge.
However, I have worked very hard for it and have accumulated over 200 names,
many of which are reliable repeats. I feel it is worth money.

Other than just throwing out a random number to a potential buyer, is there
some sort of precedent for a reasonable price, or method of dealing with,
this?

Most of you will probably be wondering right off the bat "*how many* repeat
clients?" so that you can give an informed answer. Well, most of the names
in my address book are home pianos, and I have not kept up with the records
as I should have (I did in the beginning though!) so I will guess for our
purposes here that 75 are repeats (tuned at least twice) and 10 are
frequents (tuned at least 4x/year). I think many of the others are potential
repaeats, however I have not hounded them due to a 9-5 at a piano rental
company.

Thanks in advance to all responses,