[pianotech] double-striking hammers on Chinese uprights

Scott Helms, RPT tuner at helmsmusic.net
Wed Aug 19 22:15:14 MDT 2009

Thanks Jim - that makes total sense! I attended Jack's class at last
year's convention and it was very helpful. I halfway "turbo-charged" some
Perzina uprights that had the same problem - I reduced blow distance, but
I didn't tilt the action back, and even that much helped a lot. Maybe if I
did the rest of the procedure it would have helped even more!

The flange repinning has been successful for me too. I shy away from
changing damper spring tension because a good technician did this on a
whole slew of local institutional pianos to solve the problem, and next
thing you know I had to undo it because the dampers were leaking! Just to
clarify, in every flange that bobbled I was getting 10+ swings of the
hammer, but I only repinned them to get them within a normal range of
swings - nothing that would create "other problems" in the action. Also, I
have never repinned an entire set of flanges; I only repin the 6 or 8
notes that have the bobbling problem. I've never serviced a Chinese
upright that had more than a handful of bobbling notes, so it wasn't that
big a deal to repin them.

Scott
------
Scott A. Helms, Registered Piano Technician
www.helmsmusic.net