[pianotech] double-striking hammers on Chinese uprights

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Aug 19 20:59:00 MDT 2009

---- David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> wrote:
> Excess damper spring tension will inhibit (I wouldn't say discourage)
> completion of the key stroke on light playing by adding excess and ever
> increasing tension through the stroke.  While you can certainly train the
> player to play "harder" the piano shouldn't require that and taking some
> tension off the damper springs will take care of the problem if the tension
> is excessive which can be the cause.

Exactly!
You can also verify if excessive damper spring tension is the problem by checking with the sustain pedal to see if the problem goes away, or is significantly reduced with the pedal engaged.

I have also found that some manufacturers deliberately add strength to the damper springs at the low end of the tenor section, to compensate for the tiny dampers there, where there is little room for dampers between the hammers and overstrung bass strings.  Sometime, these few note will exhibit the worse double strike, and one must be careful to get just enough, and not too much damper spring tension.

Frank Emerson