[pianotech] 179c Pitch Raise

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 12:56:02 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Norm Barrett <barr8345 at bellsouth.net>wrote:

> Terry,
> Your method is easier and will work. Splitting it up like I suggested
> distributes the tension change more evenly for those afraid of too much
> change in one area.
> Norm Barrett
>

> Terry Farrell wrote:
>
>> On a piano that is a couple hundred cents flat I would simply ETD tune
>> from A0 to C8 and overshoot A440 in the bass by maybe 10 cents, the tenor 20
>> cents and the treble 30 cents or so (assuming the piano was in pretty good
>> shape - less overpull if any concerns). A second pass would be a small pitch
>> raise.
>>
>> What advantage does your approach of all A's, then A#'s, then B's, etc.
>> have? Or is it that you simply feel there is less chance of breaking the
>> plate?
>>
>> FWIW, I've used my method oodles of time on pianos that were two and three
>> hundred cents flat with no trouble. Sure is a lot easier to keep track of
>> where you are and where you have been.....
>>
>> Terry Farrell
>>
>> On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:27 PM, Norm Barrett wrote:
>>
>> Let me throw out a method for pitch raising a piano that flat for
>>> consideration.
>>> 1. Load your ETD with an average tuning and set the tuning offset  +20
>>> cents. Now tune all the A's to the pitch indicated by the machine.
>>> 2. Lower the offset by 5 cents and tune all the A#'s
>>> 3. Lower the offset by 5 cents and tune all the Bs.
>>>
>>> Continue in this manner until all the notes on the piano have been pulled
>>> up. This will be the most drastic tension change.
>>>
>>> Set the machine in pitch raise mode and run through the piano from A0 to
>>> C8.
>>> The piano should now be close enough to proper tension to do a fairly
>>> good fine tuning. I have used this sequence successfully  for very flat
>>> pianos and it worked for me.
>>>
>>> Norm Barrett

I just dived in with the attitude that most of those old beasts were
overbuilt in the extreme. I did examine it for any loose plate screws, etc.
first and I had just looked at a give away upright the day before for a
customer that would have served as a nice replacement if smething had gone
awry.

The method I used for raising pitch after I had set the pitch in the tenor
section IS a method of adding tension slowly over the entire piano. Tuning
just the center strings with the outer strings muted by the strips all the
way up to C8 then coming back down and tuning the unisons to the already
tuned center adds tension over the entire scale slowly.

Mike

email mike at ifixpianos.com