[pianotech] double-striking hammers on chinese uprights

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 09:01:51 MDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Britney Kirk <bkirk at summerhaysmusic.com>wrote:

>  What causes a hammer to double-strike on an upright?  When I play the
> key, it feels like there is an extra force at the beginning of the
> keystroke.  When the keystroke is at the halfway point, the hammer has
> already hit the string and started to come back.  When I have finished my
> keystroke, the hammer has returned and hit the string once more.
>

>  I have tried re-pinning the hammer flange and doing a finer regulation.
>  The only thing that seems to help-- but not actually solving the problem,
> and creating other problems-- is setting let-off extremely far from the
> string.
>

> Any ideas?

Assuming the regulation is correct and the dip isn't too shallow or the blow
distance too long and the hammer check is at 10.5mm or therabouts.
2 things come to mind, early damper lift and spongy or soft hammer return
springs.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404