[pianotech] Tools for Sale

Michelle Smith michelle at smithpianoservice.com
Sun Aug 16 22:06:55 MDT 2009

My "real" feelings?  Well, here's the Cliff Notes version.  (For those
of you who don't care, you have my permission to delete.  Quick!
Before you change your mind!)

I started tuning to create a flexible day job so I could be home for
my kids in the evening.  I love visiting with customers in their
homes, I love my local chapter (Austin TX PTG rocks!), and I
especially love the difference I can make in a customer's piano.
However, piano tuning is a lot more physical than I was led to believe
when I started this gig.  I'm not a particularly strong person and
tuning/repairing/pulling actions wears me out.  I just can't see
myself doing this job when I'm 50, 60, 70 years old like you strong
men are able to do.  (I'm jealous.)

So I really had to stop and think about where I want to be down the
road and honestly, my gift is working with and advocating for kids.
(I have a Master's in Music Ed.)  This year I'll be teaching private
lessons for the local high school while also starting my Doctorate in
School Improvement which will lead me toward a career as an
administrator or consultant.

There is a lot more to this story but I think I'd better return to my
seat.  Yes, I've sold most of my tools.  Yes, I've kept the basic
tools to tune for friends/family.  Yes, I will still brag on all you
wonderful techs even though you're going to respond to this e-mail
with passion.  (Please be kind!)

Best wishes!

Michelle Smith