[pianotech] Key frame hold downs

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 07:20:29 MDT 2009

After reading my post, I would like to further clarify some of my statements.

The use of the spring clamps is both the method and the test. It can't be done with the key blocks screwed down as I implied previously.
In the end, the key frame should be bowed/reverse crowned slightly with the ends off the key bed.
With proper bedding the pressure of the spring clamps must be able to exert enough pressure to draw the ends down to the key bed.
With proper bedding the spring clamp on the frame should exert the same down pressure at the ends as there is across the entire key frame.
Once the key frame has been bedded, the key/cheek blocks should be set to exert the same down pressure as did the spring clamps.
<Then we tested it with the key blocks to be sure nothing changed and that it was exactly the same>
To little pressure with the key blocks screwed down, the ends will knock. To much pressure with the key blocks screwed down, the center of the frame will lift and knock.

The point of bedding the frame to the key bed is to have the same pressure across the key frame/ key bed, center to ends. The spring clamp is the gauge. If it can pull down the end and you have the same down pressure across the key frame, you are done. The spring clamp is the proof that it's done and is right.

Al G