[pianotech] pin torque??

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 21:14:15 MDT 2009

In a message dated 8/13/2009 9:23:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jackhouweling at dccnet.com writes:

I got myself a new toy, a vibrating digital  torque wrench "Snap-on" for
testing pin torque, but I have a few  questions.
When people talk about the measuring pin  torque is it in foot pounds or
inch  pounds?

Generally in inch pounds.

Also do you measure with the string on or  off?

You can measure either way if you consider the factor of string tension in
measurement. A pin measuring 100 ip with the string on and in the general
range  of tension will measure approximately 30% higher with the string off.
Conversely, then, that pin, with the string off will measure at
approximately  130 ip.

 And lastly is the measurements for clockwise or  counterclockwise?

Counterclockwise.

Paul

Thanks,
Jack Houweling