[pianotech] Steingraeber & Sohns leather key bushings

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 12 21:11:28 MDT 2009

Hello Andrew,

I have restored many pianos with leather bushings.  Square grands and earlier european pianos often used leather bushings as if they knew it held up better.  These bushings come in 100 years old, and showing little sign of wear.  It is clearly a better material to implement, but there are a few serious differences from felt.

First, as felt is woven for strength, leather is not.  If you attempt to insert a needle behind the leather, you may find the needle to cut cleanly through the leather without a thought.  once the leather is cut, it will not ride the pin smoothly.  If you are careful, it may be just fine, and If you mess up a bushing, there are a few good websites to point you in the right direction....

second, the leather if it gets wet will turn hard and shrink to nothing.  Likewise, if you apply heat as an attempt to size on a humid day, it can do the same thing.  I believe I would consider Yamaha's method for sizing the bushing hole.  Try a rounded piece of metal to burnish (polish) the wood on either side of the leather.  Press firm, and go back and forth.... this will mushroom the wood slightly and tighten the bushing.  If that does not work, consider new leather.

Good luck,

Mark Perry

www.carvedpianoparts.com