[pianotech] Sun Protection

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 15:21:48 MDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM, David Andersen <
david at davidandersenpianos.com> wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>

>> All,
>> I've read the specs on the "UV Filters" for windows. That stuff only stops
>> a small percentage of the UV/IR rays.
>>
> Brother, I don't know specs. What I do know is I have pianos in rooms where
> they should fry, and they don't because of UV-treated windows.
> So sue me.....
> xoxxoDA

 I've settled this discussion with more than one customer over the years by
putting my trusty, always with me, portable digital temperature/RH guage in
the direct sun coming through those windows, film covered or not.
My guage is accurate to +/- 1% and the reading after it's been in the
sunlight coming through the windows for 15 minutes or so is always 15 to 20
degrees higher than the ambient room temperature.
Proof enough IMHO

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404