[pianotech] Piano cover/ sun protection

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Aug 10 18:22:07 MDT 2009

Hi,

Current technology allows from 0 (zero) rays (basically this is a mirror; can't see through, like the one way mirror for interrogation rooms) to 5% (barely shaded). In some states, the law prohibits motorized vehicles to have tinting beyond a certain %. There is a device that measures this. The same tinting is available for windows in the home. I'm not sure many people would want 100% protection (mirror)! Such large windows might not look good with blinds either (another solution), but tinting can help.

I had a client with these big windows who said "I'll just get it refinished in 20 years...". Maybe that's the best solution for those with deep pocket.

Jim Busby