[pianotech] Sun Protection

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 10 17:30:31 MDT 2009

All,
I've read the specs on the "UV Filters" for windows. That stuff only stops a small percentage of the UV/IR rays. For pianos you need to stop ALL the Sun on the piano, ALL the time. (PERIOD)!! Anything less and you are shortening the piano's life greatly. Of course this opinion is based on thefact that I had a client that refused to move a piano I had completely rebuilt. Within 5-6 years the piano was toast! He traded it in on a Steinway!![G] Probably has traded that in by now. He blamed all of the piano's problems on my work and that of the refinisher. I told him to take a hike! Haven't seen him since. Good riddance, IMNSHO!
Most of my clients who have a sun problem have been able to solve the situation with vertical blinds or high-end curtain systems. Most 'modern' homes are not designed with pianos in mind, so the problem is previlant! (More like rampant!!) It is solveable. For situations, where there is just partial daily sunlight, I suggest Asian style free-standing screens. This seems to satisfy a lot of the Interior Design freaks.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police