[pianotech] Chickering's splayed actions...Why?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 9 11:10:20 MDT 2009

jim ialeggio wrote:

>     I like Marcel's take on the straight keys.
>
> The quarter grand's keys are aggressively angled with only a single
> bend, so the back of the key doesn't end up parallel to the front of the
> keys...thus ruining yet another perfectly good theory....I personally
> have quite a fine collection of slightly used, perfectly good
> theories...any takers?
>
> Which models have straight keys?

I don't know that any do. I tend not to retain details like
that, and was willing to take Marcel's word for it.

>     Where did the money come from?
>     Ron N
>

>  I'll say! I can't for the life of me figure how a production line could
> run with these designs.

You got me. How many new plate patterns were made through
their history? How many rim presses? How many scales? How many
pinblock configurations? Flange types? Key sets and action
layouts?

One thing that comes to mind is that the old man wasn't
content to sit at a desk and run the most efficient possible
business. He needed to be doing something he considered
interesting and educational, whatever the cost to the
business. So he did. I can see the despair on the various shop
foremen's faces when they saw the boss coming, head down and
muttering to himself, looking at this week's set of drawings.

Which produced another thought. He didn't mess with bridge
design, as far as notching, pinning, and capping - at least
that I recall. Those guys all had sharp chisels in hand.

>  From a design perspective, maybe his assumptions of what constituted a
> well regulated action was quite different from our assumptions. I don't
> mean that pejoratively either. I've always preferred the performance of
> these actions to those built,say, according to steinway assumptions.
>
> JIm I

Except that of the two approaches, one is intentionally
random. <G> What becomes the default standard of anything
isn't necessarily based on specific and absolute performance
criteria. I'm still regularly amazed at the spectrum breadth
of what passes as acceptable and even desirable, in anything
people do. Every army marches to it's own "standard", and
they're all different.

Ron N