[pianotech] Chickering's splayed actions...Why?

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 8 12:00:41 MDT 2009

The only benefit that I could think of is that the keys are all straight. Keybushings last a long time in these kind of pianos.

Marcel Carey

Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 10:21:01 -0500
From: jimialeggio at gmail.com
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: [pianotech] Chickering's splayed actions...Why?

I've been wondering about the concept of the splayed grand action for a while.

Why would a manufacturer do this to themselves?  I don't mean this as a pejorative question. Rather, I have to assume manufacturers were chasing after some design goal with this splay, since angled shanks impose 88 different geometries, further (and somewhat excessively) complicating an action's already complicated collection of geometries.