[pianotech] buzzing lid hinge

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 10:07:35 MDT 2009

A while back on the pianoworld tech forum Don Mannino posted the following:

*I thought I would share an old fix, that some people may not have heard of.

As most technician's have experienced, long hinges in piano lids (grand or
upright pianos) very often develop sympathetic vibrations. The resulting
buzzes only on certain notes in the piano can really alarm new piano owners,
and although just wiggling the lid usually stops it temporarily, people tend
to feel it is a serious issue in the piano.

Today we received back a piano with a supposed incurable buzz in the top
board long hinge. The technician had already installed a new hinge, but the
new one started buzzing also. He also accidentally chipped the finish when
putting the new hinge on (ouch!) so when the new hinge started buzzing, the
owner started demanding that the dealer replace the piano. I sort of
understand their feelings.

What is bothering me, though, is that the fix was so simple! I used a
syringe to apply linseed oil in the openings in the hinge, where the brass
is curled around the pin. After putting a bead of oil on, I worked the hinge
back and forth for 15 seconds, then wiped the excess oil off. The buzz was
fixed. 5 minutes work!

There are other techniques as well, such as removing the hinge pin and
putting a curve in it. But the linseed oil is really ideal - it is slightly
thick when applied, then gets thicker and sticky inside the hinge over a
week or so, permanently damping any vibrations of the pin.

After tuning and regulating the piano, I played it for about 30 minutes to
try to get the hinge to work into a vibrating position again, but it never
did. In my past use of this trick over many years, I never had the noise
return.

So if you haven't tried this method, give it a go. Works great! If only I
could get the factory to do it before they ship out the pianos! I'm going to
try again next week . . .*
Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America *

--