[pianotech] Chickering Brown Action Replacement

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Fri Aug 7 10:27:52 MDT 2009

Hi Jon,

I modernized a Brown action in a 9' Chickering here on the Vineyard.
I would have restored it if I had a full set of parts in good
condition.  The ones that were there were pretty bad.  I was torn
about conservation vs making a serviceable instrument and decided to
make a serviceable instrument.  This meant soaking off the original
key buttons to reuse then moving the balance rail about 1.5" back.
Once a modern key ratio was established then the modern parts worked
fine.  However this was a Chickering with shanks and wips angled to
the rails so I made an angle cut on the inside surface of the wippen
flanges to accommodate the angle.  The piano plays beautifully.  I
also kept the original wood brackets which were in good shape.

David Stanwood