[pianotech] after ring on bass damper

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 6 21:01:44 MDT 2009

The reamer I have used for years now when the damper wire is out of the hole
is a wire handle for use with a tuning mute.  Schaff number 210 on catalog
page 36.  I rough up a section of it between two bastard files, just like we
do with a center pin for action center reaming.  I find the diameter of the
wire handle is just right for this job. and you probably already have one or
two lying around!  I have knocked out fewer bushings with this than I have
with the umbrella stave tool (which should be heated before use to be
effective.)  On a recent bass only restringing of a M&H grand, I reamed the
whole bass section of the damper guide holes while the dampers were removed
for restringing.  No bushings were dislodged.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter