[pianotech] What it is not...

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:34:26 MDT 2009

Hi gang

I've had some time to experiment with the Tunic OnlyPure software and can offer

a few more bits of information.  It is NOT a pure 12ths tuning.  That's easy to check -

just tune a piano and then measure to see if there is a 3:1 or 6:2 match.  Nope.

It's not just dealing with a single partial - or somehow is responsive (at least in the middle

and lower end) to the sounding partials of the piano.  Different pianos will end up tuned to different locations, even when measured at a bunch of different partials.

It doesn't seem to learn or change a tuning based on anything heard more than at

the single note level.  Turn the machine off or on, walk to other very different piano

and it treats them consistently.

Kent's observation of how well it did tuning mis-matched pianos together prompted me to

generate the following graph....  Baldwin studio upright and Mason & Hamlin A - measured

at the single partial level from section to section.   Notice anything peculiar?  Hmmmm...

Ron Koval

Chicagoland

Get free photo software from Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009