[pianotech] Attention Ed Foote - Pitch raising limit

PianoForteTechnologies pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Thu Aug 6 13:18:55 MDT 2009

Greetings Ed

I came across a post that you wrote in response, dated February 2006, "Best
way to tune a piano using accutuner 3?"

In major pitch raises, I usually begin at the bass break with the pitch
raise function set from maybe four or five notes higher, (those last few
notes
at the break can often be a lot farther off than the piano in general).  I
let
the pitch raise function sample the A's (every octave) as I go straight to
the
top, unisons as I go. Then I do a fast raise in the bass, then I tune it,
often in the same pattern, and often using the pitch raise function again to
make
some last-pass partial-cent corrections for lingering flatness or sharpened
over exuberance...

To me it seems that you have no problem pitch raising 4-5 semitones higher
than what the actual pitch of that particular piano is standing at.
Can you explain what you have written above, maybe I am misinterpreting and
therefore I will misapply it?  I have come to believe that the general
consensus (I think) about pitch raising is, +-30% in middle, +-35% in treble
and +-20-25% in the bass.
Your thoughts would be most welcome.
Regards
Mark Davis