[pianotech] Pitch raising limit

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:32:54 MDT 2009

Mark,
One does not overpull by semitones.  On some euro pianos that is a
recipe for broken strings, or worse, broken plates.  One overpulls by
a per-centage of how low a piano is when using an ETD.  (Btw you might
want to check out TuneLab-World.com)  When a piano is more then a
semitone low I usually pull up to pitch and then do a second per-
centage overpull pass and then a fine tuning pass.   Aggressive
overpulling results in string noise I don't like to live with.

I haven't done aural tuning for pitch raises.  At A4 you know that the
beat rate is worth so many cents...you can then calculate how many
beats to go sharp of the pitch fork and then aurally tune out octaves
and fill in.  If you fill in the temperament first you will have
pulled A4 down to pitch.  You really aren't trying to be so precise on
that first pass aurally anyway.

Aural tuners will have more to add, perhaps some to correct.

Andrew Anderson