[pianotech] Soundboard deflection - Pitch raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 5 13:32:44 MDT 2009

David Nereson wrote:

> Right.  I'm wondering if anybody really knows anything. Couldn't you put
> a metal bar across the top of the rim of a grand, then a vertical bar
> hanging down from it, with a dial indicator touching the soundboard such
> that it would track any rises and falls of the board?  Then take
> readings every week, also noting any pitch changes, and see what's going
> on?  I'm surprised nobody's done this yet.  Or have they?  ("They can
> put a man on the moon, but . . . . ")

So why is everyone ready to spend days arguing about it, but
nobody is ready to spend an hour of their time over the next
two years gathering evidence to explain it? I did the math and
measured a lot of bearing angles through the years, and proved
to myself that soundboards don't rise and fall nearly enough
to produce what we hear. So take your own measurements, do the
math yourself, and figure out your own story. Or just believe
what you were taught without question, as most folks do.
Ron N