[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 09:45:58 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

 Tuners I've watched using single mutes have inserted mutes with the dampers
> down, with no apparent concern or even awareness of the potential for damage
> to the dampers, while they'd be horrified to see someone strip the same
> section with the dampers down.
>
> Ron N

I always lift the dampers before inserting either wedge mutes or strip
mutes. With strip mutes, obviously it's easier to lift them all at once with
the pedal. With wedge mutes, the dampers are lifted by depressing the keys:
the one being tuned, and its adjacent neighbor.

Regarding the broader topic of whether 'tis nobler to use two mutes or strip
mutes, I find it:

   - the best muting with felt wedge mutes. (any strip I've used heretofore
   has at least some noticeable bleed-through. We get used to working around
   it. Seems like there is much less of that with the big felt wedge mutes.)
   - most accurate to use wedge mutes, but less speedy
   - most speedy to use a strip to set the temperament (although I sometimes
   use just wedge mutes and tune unisons as I go)
   - the best blend of speed and accuracy to use a strip mute everywhere,
   but tune unisons as I go. It's faster to pull out the strip one unison at a
   time than to move mutes around.
   - particularly in verticals it's helpful to use a strip mute in the
   treble to avoid having to move mutes around the dampers. I actually use two
   strips in the treble this way: Tune the middle strings of an octave, pull
   one strip out from that octave, then bring in the unisons moving by whole
   steps up then back down. Verify they are where I want them, then pull out
   the other strip from that octave. Repeat that process all the way up to the
   top, working with about an octave at a time.

FWIW,

--
JF