[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:18:03 MDT 2009

I used strip mutes for the first 15 years of my tuning career, and have not
used them for the past 3 years. I would agree that the strips have their
charms. They seem to lower stress by creating the illusion of greater
clarity.

The problem is people don't the piano with strip mutes in. Listening to the
entire tone is a different experience then listening to only 1/3 or even 2/3
of the sound.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter