[pianotech] once a year school tunings (was: offsetting from A440)

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 03:26:15 MDT 2009

David

>From what you're saying it doesn't seem to make any difference. If you tune the piano to A440 in August, it will be out of tune in November. If you tune it to A445 in August, it will also be?out of tune in November. (I had the same problem when?I tuned in St. Louis and in Colorado, by the way). All I'm saying is that if you tune it to A440, at least some of the time the piano will be where it's supposed to be. We can't control what happens the rest of the year.?

The other thing about this is?that the humidity pushes the middle of the soundboard out. I've found?pianos with the first octave above the break at least 35 cents high, but the bass was basically right on, and the same?for the upper treble.?If your tune the whole piano 20 cents high, you're retuning the bass and the high treble. But if you bring the middle down, you won't need to do much to the ends. It would seem to me that the whole piano would be more stable that way.

But that's just my opinion.

Wim