[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:23:48 MDT 2009

I have found that tuning unisons as you go forces a high degree of
pickiness. Since every interval is being tuned against an open unison, it
compels me to try get them as pure as possible. I find that I'm quicker to
notice any drift as well. Moreover, since I start from the middle and work
my way out, I am building a lot of stability into the middle section where
it is the most important.

Since each section is continuously being checked against the middle, there
are plenty of opportunities to check and recheck the unisons in the part of
the piano where they are most noticeable and where the tolerance is most
narrow.

Also it is sometimes true that the sum of a unison is not quite the same as
each string individually. Tuning them as you go helps eliminate the effect
of this phenomenon.

My advice is to try it for a month and see how you like it. You can always
once you get the hang of it I think you will find that you get to a new
level in your tuning.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter