[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

PianoForteTechnologies pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Mon Aug 3 15:28:10 MDT 2009

Greetings to you all.

My name is Mark Davis and I am a piano tuner/technician in South Africa.

I read the pianotech archive a lot and generally find it very helpful and
encouraging.

My question  is, apart from personal opinions, what are the advantages and
disadvantages of strip muting an entire piano compared to tuning unisons as
you go?

What are the pros and cons of each way from a factual, scientific and
practical point?

Your answers would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark Davis