[pianotech] Noisy dampers

Chuck Raynor diggeray at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 12:36:41 MDT 2009

Hi group,
I'm working on a Kimball baby grand with noisy damper felts.  No noise
upon depressing the damper pedal or any individual key, but a "rattling"
or "buzzing" noise upon release in the monochord and bichord area.
Trichords are all fine.  Removing the action and manually lifting the
damper heads produces the same noise.  It's not a ringing damper--it's
very abrupt--just a metallic "clunk" upon the damper's return.
I'd welcome any suggestions on how to further diagnose or cure these
little beasts.
Thanks,
Chuck Raynor
Raynor Piano Service