[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 18:42:09 MDT 2009

This was in the early 90's, and I believe the question was stability. If a piano is close to pitch, you could tune any way you like, changing on alternate Thursdays.

RCT is designed to do a pitch raise from A0 up. You can measure the notes ahead dropping as you proceed. There have been raging arguments about whether the bridge/soundboard move, or the plate, or the wood structure. None of us has the ability to measure accurately what moves. I don't care which one is moving (!!) as long as I can compensate for it in a manner that gives reliable, stable results.

I always tune from A0 because it might matter sometimes and when it doesn't it certainly can't hurt. It also frees me from needing a temperament strip. I haven't carried one in years.

I hope we're not washed up, although I'm sure I need washing.

Dave Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA