[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 14:14:03 MDT 2009

Several years before I made the jump to using an ETD, I sat in a class
taught by Dr. Sanderson (inventor of the SAT). He had conducted a study to
see which tuning order produced the most stable tunings. The answer was to
start at A0 and tune unisons as you go all the way to C8. That was one of
the reasons I went to an ETD.

Some are worried such a procedure will cause the plate to crack from uneven
stress. Plates are so over-engineered I doubt it could make any difference.

Dave Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA