[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 09:55:48 MDT 2009

That's true.  Don't sweat it.  I have a cousin that is also an RPT and a
darn good tuner that has been in it as long as I have yet, he just cannot
tune a piano in less than 2 hours.   Well, okay, 1.5 on a GOOD day.  He can
tune as good as anyone else or better than some but just can't get over the
slow speed mode.

The only problem I see with being stuck in the slow speed mode is the amount
of money one can make in one day verses another tuner.  I'm just one of the
lucky ones I guess.

As I mentioned, I was taught to raise pitch as quickly as possible.  That is
one key to dropping tuning time.  Get it up there.  To many people try and
fine tune it at the same time during a major pitch raise.  I always keep in
mind that I have to go over it a 2nd time in many cases.

Over the years, being able to guess where it will land on a 1 or 2 tone
pitch raise will come naturally when tuning aurally.  But, none of us is
perfect at that guessing game either. it is nice owning RCT, Tunelab or
whatever for that very reason.  At least, the pitch correction is (almost)
always darn close leaving no guess work as to where we're going to set it.
That can be a time saver.

Jer Groot