[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Aug 1 19:59:48 MDT 2009

Paul,

Thanks for your reply.  I was able to communicate the need for the
pitch raise to them very effectively in this case.  I used a line I
learned at Grand Rapids.  I told them that the piano had been
"resting" for the last 7 years and it's going to take a couple of
times through to get it up to a "working" state. Since they are within
a mile of my home, I was able to talk them into letting me do the
pitch raise Tuesday, let it sit for a couple of days and went back on
Friday and tuned it more precisely.  (Being relatively new, my tunings
take a bit longer than all you pros!)

When I went back, the top 2-3 octaves were within about 5 cents, the
tenor was off about 12 cents, and the bass was down about 15. It came
up very nicely on Friday.

Furthermore, I was able to set up two more appointments this year.
One in mid-September (45 days)  and another one in early December (90
days later). I told them by then they should be able to have it tuned
twice a year (July and December) and it should stay fairly stable.
They told me they were more than agreeable to do that, now that
they've heard the difference!

Rob